Our homes speak to us – sometimes it sounds like a whisper and other times it howls. Some of that noise may be coming from old windows and doors.
If any of these common signs seem familiar to you, then replacing your windows and doors may be the next home improvement project on your list:
1. Opening or closing them has become difficult.
2. Drafts can be felt coming in around the window or door.
3. Visible damage. There’s chipping, deterioration or water stains on or around the window.
4. Single Pane Windows. There is a very good chance if your house was built before 1970 and still has its original windows that they are made of single pane glass. Today’s window standards are made from double, or triple pane glass. Single pane glass windows are sub-standard, drafty, and occasionally unsafe.
5. Hard to Clean. Has cleaning your windows become a major hassle? There are many features in new windows that make cleaning a snap.
6. Replacement parts are hard to find or have been discontinued.
7. There is an increase on your energy bill. Older windows lack proper insulation and older windows and doors may be ill fitting which may force your air conditioning or heating to work harder.
8. Outside noise. If you are hearing outside noise when your windows are closed, chances are they aren’t providing enough acoustic insulation.
9. Carpet, furniture and window treatments have started to fade. Single pane glass does the worst job at keeping out the UV rays that enter through your windows and can fade colours. Low E glass reduces most of the UVB light and helps minimize heating and cooling costs. Laminated and tinted glass will help block UVA rays.
10. They look bad. Curb appeal sells houses. There is no question that how a window and door performs is a top priority but modern, energy models also come with the added bonus of being more attractive…which just may help increase your homes resale value.
Whether you’re replacing windows or doors, remodeling a room, or building your dream home from the ground up, Aaben is here to help.